Serving Gainesville, Jacksonville, Atlanta areas
After a car accident, it's normal to be confused, shaken, and uncertain about what to do next. However, the steps you take in the immediate aftermath of your accident can make or break your car accident case. Below you will find an outline of the most important (and often forgotten) actions you should take after a car accident - as well as what NOT to do.
Call the Police and Gather Information
- Even if no one appears to be seriously injured, call 911. Everyone at the scene should be examined by a qualified medical professional. Some injuries do not have obvious symptoms.
- Get a copy of the police report. Some insurance companies will deny your claim automatically if there is no police report of the accident. Also be sure to take down the names and badge numbers of the police officers who arrive at the scene.
- Gather contact information from everyone involved, including all drivers, passengers, and possible witnesses.
- Write down license information (driver's license number, license plate number) for all vehicles and drivers involved.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident.
Document the Scene of the Car Accident
- Take photographs to document the scene of the accident. Be sure to include all vehicle damage, any obvious injuries, and pictures of the surrounding environment that may reveal contributing factors - such as obscured signs, skid marks, guardrail damage, etc.
- While it is still fresh in your mind, write down everything you can remember about the accident.
What NOT to Do After a Car Accident
- Do not discuss the car accident with the other driver's insurance company, or anyone else at the scene of the accident, except for the police. Even when talking to the police, do not admit fault; simply describe what happened.
- Do not sign an insurance company waiver or any other document that is presented to you other than the police report.
- Do not accept any kind of settlement or "final payment check".
Experienced Car Accident Attorneys
If you have been seriously injured in a car accident because of another person's negligence or recklessness, we can help you pursue the compensation you need to fully recover from your injuries. Our experienced car accident lawyers at The Chestnut Firm will perform a complete investigation into your car accident, uncovering important evidence and gathering witness testimonies to build the strongest case possible on your behalf.
If you are looking for a car accident attorney you can trust, please contact The Chestnut Firm today to schedule a free case evaluation. We represent injured car accident victims nationwide, with offices in Jacksonville and Gainesville, Florida; Atlanta, Georgia; and Charlotte, North Carolina.